25 Sep Useful Blackjack Tips for Beginners
Blackjack is one of the most popular table games at a casino because it is so easy to learn. When your cards add up to more than what the dealer (or the house) shows, then you win the hand. If you tie, then you get to keep your money.
Although some people like to try counting cards to improve their odds at Blackjack, playing a basic strategy is usually good enough to walk home with some extra cash in your pocket.
You can achieve that result by knowing when to hit, split, stand, or double down. When you play your hands correctly using this knowledge, then the house edge gets cut to 0.5%.
The Basics of Blackjack That You Need to Know
When you want to know how to play Blackjack better, these basic strategies can help you to control the table more often.
1. Always stand when your hand totals 12 to 16 when the dealer is showing a 2-6 as the face-up card on the table. Assume that the down card has a 10 value.
2. When your hand is 12-16, then you need to hit to match a 7-Ace that the dealer shows. Once you reach 17, then the odds are not in your favor – even if the house has a better card showing.
3. If you receive Aces or eights, then you should split the hand because the odds are better that you’ll win on both.
4. When you have 11 in your hand, then you should double against a dealer showing a 2-6. Some people will take this action if the cards are in the 7-10 range because they feel the risk is worth the potential reward.
5. Don’t play insurance if it is available at the table. The house advantage goes from 0.5% to 6% when you take this option. Even if you get a blackjack, this bet only wins the original amount. If the dealer receives one at the same time you do, then it becomes a push.
Advanced Tips to Consider When Playing Blackjack
Some dealers like to rush through the hands at a table. If you are sitting in the first position, then added pressure can get placed on you to act quickly. When a chair is further down, you’ll have more time to review your hand so that you can make a better choice.
It also helps to start small when you arrive at a table – or the casino changes out the dealer. A hot streak can have as much impact on a player as a cold streak. Recognizing when the odds feel to be in your favor can lead to some big wins.
Don’t buy into the myths that some gamblers have with this game. It is you against the dealer every time. How you play isn’t going to impact what happens to the other players because most shoes have six to eight decks.
Play the basic strategy correctly whenever you can. Although you won’t win every time, it can help you to have more fun because it is harder for the losses to start piling up.